Access Statement for The Lawn Guest House
This document is available in large print, available in the room folders as well as electronically.
Our home is set in a small peaceful town of Horley. Although we are extremely close to Gatwick Airport, we are away from the flight path so there is almost no aircraft noise. We offer 12 guest bedrooms, of which 4 are on the 2nd floor. On the 1st floor 3 bedrooms require you to walk down 3 steps of 7.5 inches. 7 of our bedrooms have high ceilings as this is the original part of the Victorian building, the other 5 bedrooms is the extension with lower ceilings. All rooms are on the first or second level and therefore may not be suitable for wheelchair users.
The following statement is a summary of our provision.
You can contact us by telephone, email or fax and even in person. Please see the 'contact information' section of this document for full details.
- Our courtesy shuttle service runs from 09:00 to 15:00 and then from 16:00 to 22:00; this is between The Lawn and Gatwick Airport and we drive a Volkswagen Sharan that carries 6 passengers excluding luggage. 2 trips will be required if there is luggage and 6 passengers.
- The nearest bus stop is a 2 minute walk in Massetts Road and usually runs every half hour.
- The nearest shops are a 4 minute walk.
- Our website provides pictures of a selection of our guest rooms and further information about the services we provide.
- The nearest railway station is a 10 minute walk. This railway station is a direct link to London Victoria which means no changing trains.
- We recommend guests with mobility impairment / visual / hearing impairment to be accompanied to ensure their safety in the event of an evacuation.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- I provide a personal check-in service from 09:00 to 22:00 if you are arriving after this time please let me know so I can explain the 'late-entry' system to you. You may check-in from 9am although your room will not be ready until 12pm.
- There are 4 parking bays for cars and we do not have a disabled parking bay in place (although you may park in front of the reception window, please inform us in advance). There is a dropped kurb at the entrance.
- Parking is on a level drive, please park in the gravelled parking bay. You may call us using the Guest House Bell at the front door and speak through the intercom if you require assistance when parking, as a lot of the time the parking bays are full which means parking in front of holiday parked cars.
- Rear access to your vehicle is available for parked cars.
- There are no speed bumps or barriers for vehicles.
- All signage is well lit at night including the house and there is a small floodlight at the entrance.
- We offer assistance with luggage.
Main Entrance and Reception Lounge
- There are two steps of 7 inches up to the front door and unfortunately we do not have hand rails.
- The front door is side hung and is manual operation that is self closing. Door width is 89cm and is limited to approximately three quarters opening.
- The reception lounge is approx 4 meters by 4 meters and is on a level surface throughout the ground floor, including the hall way and office.
- Lighting is bright during the day, and brightness controlled light switch used in the evening, night lighting is ambient consisting of one table lamp turned on.
- There is an emergency exit door which is directly in the middle of the house which can be used if access is required, this door is alarmed from 23:00 to 07:00.
- The front door will be locked, please use the Guest House Bell and speak through the intercom (approx height 150cm) and we will come to the door and check you in.
- The front door can be opened from 07:30 to 22:00, after this time press the guesthouse bell and speak through the intercom and I will press a button to release the lock and request you to push the door open.
- The reception table is 76cm high
- You will be required to fill out the Registration card. Police requirement is for overseas visitors to also provide passport details.
- The front reception room is also a guests' lounge which can be used at any time.
- The lounge has one sofa for 3 and 3 chairs; space is limited.
- The lounge is carpeted and has a guest computer with internet access for a fee of £2 per day.
- A selection of books and magazines are available.
- Additional room key is available on request.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
- The Hall way has laminate flooring and stairs to the first level and then second level. We do not have lifts or escalators.
- Lighting is good during the day and an energy saving bulb used with a lamp shade from dusk.
- The Hall way leads to the office and the breakfast room.
- The hall way is approximately 106cm wide by 410cm long. The staircase is approximately 86cm wide and has 16 steps.
- The breakfast room is at the foot of the stairs on the ground floor.
- There is only one emergency exist in the building which is in the hall way on the ground floor.
- Central heating is in place in all bedrooms, hallways and reception lounge.
- A guest's ice making machine is available under the stair case with glasses, cork screw and ice bucket.
- There is a small public WC on the first floor opposite room 5.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Bar area, Takeaway & Cafe
- The Breakfast room has 6 tables, 4 of which seat 2, and 2 that seat 4 and can seat 17 guests at any one time.
- All chairs are straight back and do not have arms.
- Breakfast starts at 07:00 and served from 07:15 last orders at 08:45.
- There is approximately 80cm access width around all the tables with chairs tucked in, space is limited.
- The menus are in approximately font size 10 and 12, there is no Braille.
- All cutleries are thick handled.
- The room is fully carpeted.
- 2 High-chairs are available.
- Waitress assistance is available during breakfast with a pleasant 'good morning'!
Bedrooms & En-suite room
- If the fire alarm has been activated the fire bells are close to every room to hear inside your room, you must evacuate immediately and assemble in the car park. This is also explained in a frame on the wall, close to the room door.
- In an emergency please dial 0 from your telephone and I will attend immediately. You may also dial 9 for an external line followed by 999 to contact the emergency services.
- All bedrooms have a direct dial telephone; please dial 0 for reception and 9 for an external line followed by the number.
- A teletext colour television is in all rooms with remote control operation.
- The width of the door to the bedroom is approximately 70cm. The door is self closing and has a manual lock/unlock system, when leaving your room lock the door on your way out with the room key, take this with you so you can open the entrance door on your return followed by the room door.
- A blue information folder is provided in all rooms including a list of all local restaurants and public houses. Breakfast menu is also displayed in your room near the tea/coffee tray.
- Entrance to rooms from corridors is on a level surface.
- Room service is not available. Wake up call is also not available although there is an alarm clock you can set.
- All rooms have private En-suite facilities, consisting of a shower (some with bath), WC and wash basin.
- A complimentary mini soap bar is provided and there is Lux 2 in 1 Shower gel.
- Room 5 has 3 steps down to the bathroom.
- The bathroom floor is furnished with liner and can be slippery when wet.
- The showers have a thermostatic mixer; ensure you set the mixer to desired temperature before turning on as hot water can be very hot.
- All basins' have a separate hot and cold tap.
- All rooms have Tea, Coffee and Hot chocolate sachets including biscuits.
- A kettle is also provided.
- We offer to show you to your room and help familiarise yourself with where items are in the room and the services we provide.
- Dogs and children are welcome
- No smoking anywhere inside the building, please smoke outside and away from the gravel drive.
- Our fridge may be used only to store medications and special dietary foods.
- Mobile phone reception is generally good.
- There is a fire extinguisher on the ground floor hall way and another outside room 4.
- Wi-fi signal is generally acceptable in most rooms, there are however weak signal areas within the building.
- Members of our family are always here to help. Please note our office/reception closes at 22:00, if you need to speak with us in an emergency please dial 0 on the telephone in your room.
- We are aiming to re-decorate all the bedrooms in 2012, including hall ways and breakfast room
- Creating a luggage area to securely store luggage is currently being thought of.
- We are also thinking of installing a stair lift for the elderly.
- A new wireless router with better signal will be installed soon.
The Lawn Guest House
30 Massetts Road
Telephone: +44 (0) 1293 775751
Fax: +44 (0) 1293 821803
Hours of operation: Main telephone number answered 8am - 10pm for general calls
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01293 775751 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Created: 17 October 2008